Military & Veteran Services

The Veterans Affairs Office is located in Crites Hall Room 221. We are available to Veterans, dependents, and family members to answer questions and provide assistance to veterans and dependents wishing to enroll for their benefits.

All Veterans wishing to receive their benefits must complete an application with the Department of Veteran Affairs benefits. Forms, information on work study opportunities, and eligibility requirements can be obtained through our office. To set up an appointment with a Chadron State College Veteran Affairs representative, please email

Deployment/Active Duty

In the event that military members are called to active duty/deployment while currently enrolled at CSC, members will have the option to:

  1. Drop all courses with no financial penalty
  2. Remain enrolled in your current classes
  3. Petition for incompletes

To receive 100% drop from courses for a full refund, a copy of the active duty letter will need to be submitted to the CSC Veterans Services Office.  Contact Veterans Services Office if you have questions or need assistance.

If the tuition and fees were paid from other sources, those funds will be refunded to the appropriate agency.

If the tuition and fees were paid out of pocket, those funds will be refunded to the military student.

To remain enrolled in your current courses, please make appropriate arrangements with your instructors.

To petition for an Incomplete Grade, student's must fill out and submit the Incomplete Grade Petition Form to the instructor of the specific course.  If approved by the instructor, the petition is then forwarded to the Dean.

Student Responsibilities

Some education benefits are for Veterans and some are for the spouse and/or dependents of Veterans. It can take the VA up to 12 weeks to process education benefit applications. Chadron State College does not determine Veteran eligibility for benefits (education benefits, basic allowance for housing (BAH) or other stipends). If you have questions on how eligibility is determined you may contact the Regional VA Education Center in St. Louis at 314-552-9741 or 888-442-4551. It is the student’s responsibility to contact the VA for verification.


  • Communicate any enrollment changes (add, drop, withdrawal, change of major, etc.) to the Veterans Services Office as soon as possible. Registration and enrollment changes may affect student benefits and in some cases may cause a return and repayment of funds.
  • Make payment arrangements with the Student Financial Services Office for charges billed by Chadron State College. This must be completed by the semester payment deadlines.
  • Self-report monthly enrollment information to the VA (Chapter 30 and 1606). This can be done over the phone 1-877-VA-ECERT (1-877-823-2378) or through the WAVE website.
  • Keep their address and direct deposit information current with the VA. Address changes need to be communicated to the Veterans Services Office as well.
Transfer Credit for Military Services

In order for Chadron State College to process or award any credit hours for Military Service, please have a copy of your DD214 sent to Your DD-214 will fill the requirement for Essential Studies Outcome #11 - 3 hours. You can also submit your Joint Service Transcript or Air University/Community College of the Air Force Transcripts to to see if any other Military schools or coursework will transfer into credit hours. Keep in mind that not all Military schools/coursework will relate to Chadron State College offered courses.

Military Tuition Assistance Program

Military Tuition Assistance is a benefit paid to eligible members of the Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force, and Coast Guard. Congress has given each service the ability to pay up to 100% for the tuition expenses of its members.

Each service has its own criteria for eligibility, obligated service, application process' and restrictions. This money is usually paid directly to Chadron State College by the individual services.

Additionally active duty members may elect to use the GI Bill® "top-up" in addition to their service provided TA to cover high cost courses.

To apply go to

You will need to submit your Authorization online to

Veterans Benefits and Transition Act of 2018

Chadron State College follows the Veterans Benefits and Transition Act of 2018 and will not impose any penalty including: 1) the assessment of late fees; 2) the denial of access to classes; 3) libraries or other institutional facilities and/or 4) require a Chapter 31 or Chapter 33 recipient borrow additional funds to cover the individual’s inability to meet his or her financial obligations to Chadron State College due to the delayed disbursement of a payment by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. This requirement is limited to the portion of funds paid by the VA. The covered individual must contact the Business Office to request an exception to the College’s payment policy.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).

Recruitment of Members of the Department of Defense

Chadron State College will not provide commission, bonus or other incentive payment based directly or indirectly on securing Service member enrollments.

Chadron State College will not use high pressure recruitment tactics such as same day enrollment, making 3 or more unsolicited contacts by phone, email, or in-person.

Enrollment Approval ESO or Service Component

All students who identify the intent to use DOD tuition assistance will be directed to speak with their Educational Service Officer (ESO), military counselor, or Service prior to enrolling in classes at Chadron State College. CSC Admissions Representatives and START Advisors will direct DOD member students to contact their ESO for Tuition Assistance (TA) approval.

Estimated Price of Books and other Course Materials

The estimated cost of books and materials for a 3 hour course is $225.

Chadron State College Cohort Default Rate

Chadron State College’s Cohort Default Rates. This rate is updated annually and displayed on this page.

Return Policy for Tuition Assistance (TA) Funds

Students who receive orders to deploy, PCS, or attend training while enrolled in a Chadron State College Course may request, in writing, a grade of Incomplete, continue the course, or request to withdraw and receive a 100% refund. Without orders the following withdrawal policy will apply: Military Tuition Assistance Withdrawal Policy

The Tuition Assistance Return Policy for military members withdrawing without Deployment, PCS, or Training orders mirrors our return policy for Federal Financial Aid (Title IV) and is based on actual days of attendance not weeks or percentages.

Transfer Credit

Re-admissions Policy

Chadron State College is an open enrollment institution. Service members and reservists will be readmitted to a program if they are temporarily unable to attend class or have to suspend their studies due to service requirements.

Helpful Links